Friday, January 10, 2014

Day 10 - What It Is All About

Yosemite Valley

We are at 400ppm (parts per million of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere).  "Unless we are able to rapidly turn that around and return to below 350 ppm this century, we risk triggering tipping points and irreversible impacts that could send climate change spinning truly beyond our control." (per 350.org)

It was a quiet day today, spent with the grandsons at the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge visitor center - a wonderful building of native limestone and glass which looks out over the woods and where we can watch the birds and turkeys eat right by the windows. It's a good day to remind myself of why I am writing this blog - because our beautiful world is in real jeopardy and there is not much time to fix it.  I want my grandsons to live in a beautiful world too - and a peaceful one.  We in the United States are the ones that need to take the biggest steps because we are the biggest producers of carbon through our consumption.  We need to take action in many ways - political, community, cultural and personal.  I am only one person, but I hope that this blog will help me to reach out to others and for you to reach out to me so that we can share our journey.  I want to thank all of you who are reading and commenting and giving me support.  It is really wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment