Friday, January 3, 2014

Are Plastic Egg Cartons Really Necessary?


Last post I declared an end to plastic bag use.  Today I'll face another kind of ubiquitous plastic and while at it, here is a good example why so many of us feel overwhelmed when we start to seriously  try to reduce our carbon use.  Look at that photo - everything you could want in an egg - cage free, organic, large brown fresh eggs - but then it comes in an indestructible plastic egg carton!  My husband is trying to buy good healthy food for our family and we slide backwards on our carbon use.  Of all producers, you would think that the organic folks would get it right and yet here they are replacing good old fashioned bio degradable  paper egg cartons with this.  It is discouraging.

It is not just the climate cost of making plastic, it is very much the ecological cost of landfilling the used cartons. Here is a quote from Eureka Recycling's page: "Consider these figures from US EPA for 2007: Nearly three-quarters (73.3%) of the waste we generate is throw-away products and packaging. According to a study released in September 2009 by the Product Policy Institute, 44% of US greenhouse gas emissions come from products and packaging." (My bold) 

That's major. So today I am saying no more plastic containers for my fruits, vegetables and eggs.

Now here is today's challenge for us all:  What do I do with the plastic containers I've accumulated, because, you know, I don't want to throw them away?


Pile of plastic containers in my basement.

I have a few ideas:  The egg cartons will go to the co-op to be reused.  They would also make nice little seed starters.  The larger containers might work as terrariums or herb planters.  I haven't bought Costco apples for a long time because of the packaging but I do use  that packaging to store my glass Christmas ornaments.

Other ideas??

No comments:

Post a Comment