Monday, February 10, 2014

Mexico Musings - Air Conditioning

We arrived in Acapulco last night. It's hot here and my body, which has been used to our cold Minnesota winter, was in a bit of a shock. There is no air conditioning in the room. Our air conditioning came from the sea breeze wafting through the louvres on the window by my bed.
Actually, there isn't air conditioning anywhere in this hotel except in a few closed up rooms.  The hotel was built in the 50's and doesn't seem to have changed much since then. What it lacks in modern comforts and decor, however, it makes up in charm.

It stretches along a cliff above the sea. The rooms and restaurant are open to the fresh air. There is a palapa roof, palm trees, a large wooded garden and hammocks on the veranda. 

The hotel was originally built by movie stars- John Wayne and Johnny Weismuller and was quite a hang out for the rich and famous in the 50's. 
Many people today would consider our spartan, un-air conditioned room with its minuscule bathroom to be unacceptable, and I think how our expectations have changed over the years.
Perhaps now what we need to be doing is changing our expectations again- the other way- to a life that doesn't need as many creature comforts.
As I write this, I am
sitting in the open air lounge, about the only place I can get wifi.
I'm pretty warm, but there is a breeze. I can hear the sea (and traffic too, I expect) and I am relaxed in that way I am only after I have spent a full day breathing outdoor, rather than conditioned, air.

No comments:

Post a Comment